How to tell if your gold ring is real and made of solid gold
To determine if a gold ring is real, you can follow these steps:
- Look for markings: Check the inside of the ring for any markings or engravings. Genuine gold rings are typically marked with a hallmark within UK or other European countries or a stamp indicating the purity of the gold, such as 9ct (375), 10K (416), 14K (585) or 18ct (750).” These markings represent the carat value, with higher numbers indicating a higher gold content. However, note that some very old or delicate rings may not have markings.
- Conduct a visual inspection: Examine the ring closely for signs of discolouration or fading. Pure gold does not tarnish, rust, or change colour over time. If you notice any signs of wear or a different colour underneath the gold plating, it may indicate that the ring is not made of solid gold.
- Perform a magnet test: Gold is not magnetic, so you can use a magnet to check if the ring contains any other metals. Hold a strong magnet close to the ring and observe if it attracts or pulls the ring. If the ring is attracted to the magnet, it likely contains a significant amount of non-gold metals.
- Conduct a density test: Gold has a relatively high density compared to other metals. Fill a container with water and note the water level. Carefully drop the ring into the water and observe if it sinks or floats. If the ring sinks, it suggests that it has a higher density consistent with real gold. However, keep in mind that this method may not be foolproof, as some gold-plated rings may still sink due to the underlying metal.
- Seek professional appraisal: If you still have doubts about the authenticity of the gold ring, it is advisable to consult a professional jeweller or appraiser. They have the expertise and tools to accurately assess the gold content of the ring and provide you with a reliable evaluation.
Remember that these methods can give you a preliminary indication, but for a definitive determination, it is always best to consult a jeweller.
Learn more about the Services we offer which include our Bespoke Service, Engraving, Jewellery Repair & Restoration, Ring Resizing and Jewellery Cleaning.